Sunday, May 5, 2013

RIP Deanna Durbin

Deanna Durbin; 1940

I have been lax in remembering Deanna Durbin.  She was a delightful film star with a glorious voice, the likes of which we will never see again.  She wanted a life of privacy, and I was glad she was able to enjoy that, even thou I wish she had given interviews later in life - selfish on my part - but she earned that privacy.  As a somewhat notorious person myself, I empathize and appreciate her wishes.  I hope she was finally able to live the life she wanted.  She hated the studio system and the persona they created for her.  I would have loved knowing the REAL Deanna Durbin.

Deanna Durbin; 1940

While I like to think of all the greats on some glorious movie set in the sky, each loss reminds me that there are fewer and fewer greats left.  It's quite distressing that most people I admire are no longer here.  And it's not just the movie machine, there just are such few films and actors I find timeless and worth seeing at all, let alone more than once.  I wish I had the opportunity to tell them how much I appreciate their work and talent.  Even though they won't see it, I keep this blog as a tribute to them.  To see a view into the life of Deanna Durbin, check out my views into her home in the 1940s:  Part 1 and Part 2.  We'll miss you!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This