How to Prevent Basement Accidents
1. Keep rubbish and ashes in separate covered metal containers. Do not allow old papers and other inflammable material to accumulate.
2. Have stairs to basement well lighted, and provided with a handrail. Never leave pails, brooms, etc., on the stairs or landing.
3. Remove nails when breaking up boxes.
4. Tools should be kept in a cupboard; do not hang them on rafters.
5. Basement should be well lighted, preferably with electric lights controlled by a switch at top of the stairway.
(Source: Watkins Household Hints; 1941)