Friday, July 16, 2010

What 100 Stars Want Most in 1956 - Margaret O'Brien


Margaret O'Brien (Born January 15, 1937) - One of my favorite child actors. Most people know her from Meet Me in St Louis, but my favorite Margaret O'Brien film is The Secret Garden. Incidentally, for all you TCM lovers Margaret O'Brien is one of the featured stars in this August's Summer Under the Stars. So mark your calendar for August 15, 2010. TCM will play The Secret Garden at 8 pm est, or if you love Meet Me in St Louis, it is playing at 3:45 pm est. If you ever get a chance to see TCM's special on Child Stars, I would definitely recommend it. Margaret seems like such a wonderful person!


Some Margaret O'Brien Trivia:
  • She was born Angela Maxine O'Brien
  • Margaret made her film debut in a 1941 civil defense film (Her major motion picture debut was 1941's Babes of Broadway)
  • She won a special Oscar for Meet Me in St Louis. It was stolen in 1954, found at a swap meet in 1995 and returned to her.
  • My favorite Margaret O'Brien quote: "When I cry, do you want the tears to run all the way or shall I stop halfway down?" - What a pro!
What did Margaret O'Brien wish for in 1956?
"I want a place in the Valley where I can keep a horse"


"I'd like the lead in the story The Life of Esther Costello. It's the story of a deaf and dumb Irish child who rose to fame and prominence despite these handicaps"




Unfortunately for Margaret, Heather Sears got the part. Has anyone seen The Story of Esther Costello? It apparently also stars Joan Crawford.






"I'm on a personal campaign right now to tell people about the other children, the ones who aren't juvenile delinquents. We're way in the majority, incidentally."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful post,the photos are lovely...Thank you for stopping by,take care.x.

Shay said...

I didn't realize how young she was when she made "Meet Me In St. Louis."

She seems to have kept her head despite becoming a star at such a tender age.

Liberator said...

Absolutely beautiful photos of her. Thanks for posting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This